Monday 13 August 2018

Love Always Looks for the Best

Out little "staycation" got off to a bit of a rocky start, when my phone was stolen out of Finn’s bag on the first Saturday, while we were out running errands. It threw me more then I realized at first, I have never had something stolen from me before. It was a reminder of the poverty and vulnerability of the country we are living in. And it became an exercise in spiritual discipline for me, I couldn't change what had happened but I committed to praying for the thieves when thoughts of anger or frustration started to creep in. Despite our efforts we never did recover my phone but with the support of a number of people we were able to replace it. I am incredibly grateful for those who helped us out!!

We have been trying to learn over the last few years how to grow some of our own food. Often fresh things from the nearest shop go off quickly and better quality things are more expensive. So we dedicated some of our staycation time cleaning out the garden and researching what can be planted in the upcoming months. Neither Tommy or I are naturals at gardening, but it has been fun to learn as a family how to do this together.

We finished off the week with a few nights away in a town called Badplaas just a few hours away. We did lots of swimming and spending time outside. Just what we needed to finish off our restful week.

As a family we went to community prayer in Mluti at the end of July . Finn is so busy these days it is difficult for us to participate in some of these things. But we love letting Finn explore the communities and he loves the times of worship. He is so happy to dance and clap along with the beautiful melodies.

Our dear friends Sara + Xolani got married on Aug 4th. Sara is from New York and Xolani is from near where we live in South Africa. A cross cultural wedding brought lots of new experiences for us during the preparations and the wedding day. There was a “white wedding” church service in the morning and a more traditional African service in the afternoon. Tommy participated in the cow butchering event before the wedding, and as part of the bridal party I experienced lots of new things! It was a beautiful day, and we are so thrilled for them!

This past week I spent a few days with a team from the UK in the Community of Share. They have a nearly 10 year relationship with the community and it was amazing to see then reconnect with so many familiar faces. Together we walked the community going on Holy Home Visits and began work on painting the Life Center.

Since the wedding I have been reflecting on this well known verse in 1 Corinthians about love.
If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love. Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self. Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have. Love doesn’t strut, Doesn’t have a swelled head, Doesn’t force itself on others, Isn’t always “me first,” Doesn’t fly off the handle, Doesn’t keep score of the sins of others, Doesn’t revel when others grovel, Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, Puts up with anything, Trusts God always, Always looks for the best, Never looks back, But keeps going to the end. Love never dies. They have been an encouragement and a challenge to me and I hope they speak to you as well.

Love + Blessings,
Morgan 




















No comments:

Post a Comment